East-West Connectivity Improvements in the City of Roswell
OverviewWith more than 70,000 vehicles per day, Holcomb Bridge Road is the most heavily traveled east-west interchange north of Interstate 285. As Roswell's only access to SR 400, Holcomb Bridge Road creates significant traffic congestion and is the City's largest transportation challenge. Today, the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) unveiled its proposed plans for the SR 400 Express Lanes, creating a significant opportunity to improve east-west connectivity in the city, including major improvements to the Holcomb Bridge Road/SR 400 interchange.
"In 2018, the City of Roswell unanimously passed multiple resolutions indicating that in order to derive maximum benefit from the managed lanes project, significant improvements were required at the Holcomb Bridge Rd/GA 400 interchange. The GDOT managed lanes project presents a unique opportunity to make such improvements," said Mayor Lori Henry. “Along with our Big Creek Parkway project, these projects will vastly improve mobility in our city."
- 70,000 vehicles per day travel on Holcomb Bridge Road through the interchange at Georgia 400.
- The City of Roswell currently has one interchange on Georgia 400.
- East-West connectivity is a major challenge for the citizens of Roswell and the region.
- Citizens of Roswell voted for multiple east-west improvements as part of the Transportation Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (T-SPLOST).
- The Big Creek Parkway Extension is moving forward and will increase connectivity and reduce congestion on Holcomb Bridge Road.
- Improvements to the Holcomb Bridge Road-Georgia 400 interchange are being planned as part of GDOT’s express lanes project.
- A third east-west connectivity improvement, south of Holcomb Bridge Road, is being considered by GDOT as part of the express lanes project.
- The express lanes are projected to reduce delay by 19,000+ hours each day in the Georgia 400 corridor by 2030.
- The Mayor/City Administrator were approved by City Council to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with GDOT for a partnership the construction of Express Lanes along SR 400 for SR 400 / Holcomb Bridge Road Interchange rebuild at the City Council meeting on September 9, 2019 ().
About GDOT’s SR 400 Express Lane Project
For more information about GDOT's SR 400 Express Lane Project and to view upcoming meeting schedule, visit .